WHAT YOU HAVE TO OFFER
When we are in the market to buy something, we all expect the salesperson to know about what they are selling and why it will benefit us.
It may not be the most obvious way to think about your job search, but we all have to sell ourselves when we are looking for a job. If you don’t know, or are unsure about what you have to offer, how will anyone else know?
To make your next career move as successful as possible, it is important to identify your personal strengths, what you love doing and, of course, what you don’t. If you can clearly demonstrate what benefits you can bring to a potential employer, the chances of them giving you the job will significantly increase.
At Select, our recruitment consultants can help you identify what you have to offer, not just in terms of relevant skills, but also your work values, style and preferences. It’s your career so let’s focus on what works for you.
Identifying your strengths will also help to:
- Highlight what your options are
- Identify what type of role will suit you
- Match your skills to specific job opportunities
- Discover any areas of further development that are required
Do you have transferable skills? Transferable skills are the skills that you have learnt over time in your current or previous roles that can be brought successfully into a new organisation.
Also, consider what you do outside of work, as you may have developed skills that will help you stand out from the crowd.
If you are struggling to identify what your skills are, look back at your experiences so far and ask yourself what have I done that:
…Nobody else has done?
…Has made a difference?
…I am really proud of?
…I really enjoyed doing and shared with others?
…Was a challenge for me and/or a great success?
Also think about:
- What others say about you
- What colleagues, friends or family say you’re good at
- What others often ask you to do (don’t restrict this to work, activities outside are equally important and can add value)
- What have colleagues said about you during appraisals or performance reviews
- What you do outside of work
- Your favourite activities or interests and what skills these require
- What you are good at
- Is there a particular skill that you enjoy using?
- Have these skills helped you at work, if so how?
- What would you say you do better than other people?
Your Work Values
When it comes to a new job or career change you need to ensure that it matches the guiding principles and values that are right for you. Think about:
- The things that you particularly enjoyed about a previous role
- The types of organisation or the industry sector in which you previously worked
- The types of people that you have worked with
- Which values really matter to you (e.g. trust, challenge, security and friendship)?
Once you have identified your own work values, you will be better placed to make an informed decision about whether the job you have found is right for you in the long-term.
Your Work Style
How do you like to work, how flexible are you and how much energy do you bring to your time at work?
Once you understand what your work style is, you can then focus on targeting specific industry sectors or organisations that will suit you as an individual.
Here are some questions to ask yourself, and others, that will help identify your work style:
- How do you like to work with others?
- What role do you normally take within a team?
- Are you targeting the same job level or are you looking for something better?
- How do you handle pressure and deadlines in a team environment?
- How do you like to be managed? (This is a very important question! Does your manager need to be hands-on or hands-off?)
- If you manage others, how do you like to do it?
- When working on a task or project, do you prefer to do this on your own or talk it through with others in your team?
- How organised are you at home and at work?
- Do you prefer working in a detailed environment or is a minimal brief enough for you to perform your tasks?
- What kinds of things make you more productive?
- When it comes to problem solving or generating ideas, how do you proceed?
Never be ashamed of the way you like to work, just because it may be different to others’ it is not necessarily wrong. Remember there is a role out there for everyone, if you are willing to work hard, you will succeed and as specialists in recruitment we always aim to match the best person to every role. Contact your local Select office today to discover not only what you have to offer, but also what we have to offer you.
Always go the extra mile
“I have been working with Select for the past few months and they have helped me to fill key support roles in my team with high quality candidates. The company is a real pleasure to work with, the team always go the extra mile and are very effective in matching the right candidate to the role. I highly recommend working with them.”
Extension of our own operation
“The team spirit and customer focus prevalent at the Select office in Crawley is clearly obvious to all and my team now see Select Appointments, simply, as an extension of our own operation. It is a pleasure doing business with Select Appointments.”
Looked After Very Well
“Select were pro-active in finding me temporary work and, as a result of one of their short-term assignments, I was called back by the same company for five weeks and then offered a six-month contract by that company. I was looked after very well by Select, administratively and in finding me work, and I am most grateful for their efforts on my behalf.”
Select Job Seeker
Bent Over Backwards
“I felt that Select bent over backwards to ensure that our vacancy was filled by the most suitable person; thank you!”
I Absolutely Love My Job
“I just wanted to pass on my sincere thanks to you and your team. I absolutely love my job and have now been made a permanent member of staff because it was such a great match to my skills. I am so glad that I came into your agency!”
Select Job Seeker
Cannot Thank Him Enough
“I am very thankful for what Select have done for me. At first, I was getting no interviews and literally no hope for any jobs. I applied to Select for an advertised job, which was in my area of expertise and my Consultant thought I was highly suitable for this job and he gave me a chance, so he put me forward. He sorted out all the interviews, communicated well with me and never left me out of sync. I cannot thank him enough for the high standard of customer service and perseverance to get me the job that I am in now!”
Select Job Seeker
Completely Understand Our Requirements
“We have been extremely happy with the service Select has given us. Our Consultant seemed to completely understand our requirements and saved us a huge amount of time putting forward the right people for our vacancies. We will definitely be using Select again!”
Changed My Life
“I am so happy you have no idea! You have helped change my life and I can now start a fresh and long lasting career. I cannot thank you enough for considering, helping and guiding me all the way through.
I will certainly be recommending you and Select recruitment to anyone I know. Thank you for everything!”
Select Job Seeker