Working from Home: Setting Up Your Space
Working from home has become the norm for many people across the globe. For a lot of us, it could be the first time you’re actually taking your work out of the office; understanding the best way to stay safe and productive in your personal space is important.
Designate a Work Space
If you’re lucky enough to have a home office, this one is easy; for those of us that don’t have a dedicated room to sit and work in, pick a spot in your home and stick to it!
Things you’ll want to consider when choosing a spot for your work space:
1. Light – natural light is the best way to keep your spirits up when tied to a computer screen all day. However, you may need to account for glare, so sitting right next to a window may not always be the best option. Think about what kind of light you’ll need in the evenings as well, as artificial lighting should be bright enough to let you get on with work without being intrusive.
2. Position & Posture – if you have a dining room table, setting up at one end gives you a good amount of room to organise any paperwork you may have as well as giving you enough space to work comfortably from a keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have a suitable table or desk to work from, be mindful of keeping yourself comfortable as well as healthy. Posture is incredibly important, so slumping on a sofa for hours a day should be avoided as much as possible. Investing in a full keyboard, mouse and a raised lap-tray to keep your laptop screen at eye level will go a long way towards preventing long term back, neck and shoulder pain. You could even try switching to a standing desk at your kitchen counter! For more advice on how to sit at your desk properly, please take a look at these NHS guidelines.
3. Personal vs Professional – Do everything you can to keep your work separate from your home life. If you’re able to keep all of your work in one room, do so – avoid working in your bedroom where possible to ensure that the line between your office and your bed doesn’t become blurred! Ask your employer for a dedicated work device instead of using your own, or perhaps set up a separate working account on your own PC. Finally, designate a specific space in your home to store your equipment and paperwork; ensure it’s not always directly in line of sight once you’ve finished for the day.
Working Effectively in your Space
It’s not all about the space you set up physically – you also need to get into the right headspace. It’s usually easy to concentrate when we’re in the office, as we condition ourselves into the right frame of mind as soon as we walk through the door. When there’s no door to walk through however, it can be a little harder to maintain focus.
Things you’ll want to consider:
1. Communication – Keeping in touch with your colleagues regularly is important. Take advantage of the myriad of audio and video call platforms available and schedule in regular catch-ups with your team to help tackle the loneliness of working at home. Conversely, those of us that have families to tend to also need to be completely on the same page regarding when it’s time for you to be left alone to get on with work! We talk more about working from home with children here.
2. Business Hours – A strict open and close routine is essential. Keep to your assigned business hours, and make sure that when it’s time to stop work, it’s gone – even if that means taking 10-15 minutes to put all of that paperwork and equipment back in a cupboard or corner. It’s really easy to dip in and out of work when there’s so many distractions, but keeping to a routine can really help towards staying productive.
3. Breaks – regardless of where you’re working, everyone is entitled to an uninterrupted break during the day. At home, you may find it easier to have several smaller breaks as opposed to one lunch break – find out what works for you and build them into your routine. Once you’ve determined what breaks you are having, stick to them!
We can Still Help at Home
Whether we’re working in the office or from home, Select’s team of highly trained consultants are fully equipped to either help you find your next move or add to your remote team. Our business hours remain the same, so to find out how we can help maximise your time in and out of the office, contact your local Select office.
“Caroline and her team took the time to listen to and fully understand our requirements. They demonstrated their understanding by presenting us with a short list of candidates all of whom could have filled the post. Thoroughly recommended for their fantastic service, thank you.”
Select Client – Google Review – Select Appointments St Albans
Second to None
“I have worked with and for ‘Select Appointments’ since Aug 1st 2017. I have nothing but absolute praise for the care and attention I have received whilst working under their ‘umbrella’. The interaction and provision of work, remuneration and holiday entitlement is in my opinion second to none, I would certainly recommend the agency to anyone with full and utmost confidence.”
Select Candidate – Google Review – Select Appointments Norwich
Best agency in Cambridge
“Select Cambridge is an excellent agency specialised in offering jobs in the Hospitality sector. The quantity and quality offered make it the best agency in Cambridge. Personally, I have had the opportunity to work with […] an excellent consultant, attentive to the details and needs of her employees. I highly recommend it for those who are considering joining this sector.”
Select Candidate – Google Review – Select Hospitality Cambridge
They Invest the Time
“I have worked with the Select team on both assisting me recruit as a customer and more recently as a candidate. Having first worked with Select on a couple of recruitment projects with great success she was my first call when I needed assistance with my own career move.
For me the difference with Select is that they invest the time to understand your requirements both as a business customer and as a candidate and match you to the right people or positions. Unlike a lot of Recruitment companies the communication is strong from the Select team with regular updates and you never feel like just another candidate in a drawer. Dedication, passion, professionalism and commitment are the qualities that set them apart from the rest and I cannot rate the Select team more highly.”
Select Client & Candidate – Google Review – Select Appointments Lowestoft
Very Supportive Team
“I worked with the very supportive team from Select. He rang just before every appointment I had with my new employers to offer advice and support. He was also on the end of the phone when I asked for advice about my current position. Needless to say, I was offered the job I was recruited for and had a very good experience with Select.”
Select Candidate – Google Review – Select Hospitality Peterborough
Able to Get Results
“Select have been absolutely amazing from the get go. I haven’t had any problems with finding a job, pay or communication. The team found me a new job within 1 week and another job after the contract ended on that one.
I would heavily recommend this company as not only are the staff so friendly, they are able to get the results that you want from employment. After years of working with other agencies and having many problems, Select come out on top and will be using them in the future. I found an amazing job and was so sad to leave it as I have continued my journey at university.”
Select Candidate – Google Review – Select Appointments Chelmsford
Lovely Agency to Temp With
“Lovely agency to Temp with. Always there for advice and respond quickly to any queries I have had over the last couple of months. I would like to thank the team for the incredible service they have provided me, very professional and they really care about their work.”
Select Candidate – Google Review – Select Appointments Oxford
Cannot Recommend Them Enough
“Select Appointments are an AMAZING agency!
My consultant believed in me and saw my strengths. He gave me back my work confidence then found me my dream job. Nothing is too much trouble. The team are with you every step of the way ensuring that you are well prepared. I cannot recommend Select highly enough.”
Select Candidate – Google Review – Select Appointments Northampton
“Probably the very first agency that provided amazing customer experience to me. Staff are very professional and friendly to the point where they have managed to find something that suits me in the first 30 minutes of walking in for the first time. Paperwork isn’t as burdensome as in other recruitment agencies which is a big plus. I got an impression of genuine care from them due to the fact that they were always in contact with me and whenever I had an enquiry they responded asap.”
Select Candidate – Google Review – Select Appointments Lincoln
Dedication is Abundantly Clear
“I am an IT Engineer specialising in Apple systems. Over the course of 1 year I entertained many recruiters claiming their understanding and ability in finding a position that suited my expertise.
Chris Lo is the 1st (& only) recruiter in my experience that not only dedicated & understood my goals, but also had the technical education to fully understand my abilities and provide appropriate prospects. This lead to my current position with a company & group of people I want to stay with indefinitely.
Chris’s dedication is abundantly clear; extremely communicative and driven nature, exemplifies his passion and character.”
Select Candidate – Google Review – Select Appointments Croydon